Identity theft can drain your finances, destroy your credit, impact employment, educational opportunities, and cause an immense amount of stress.
How to Protect yourself from Identity Theft
- Shred documents containing personal information
- Do not store card information online
- Avoid non-bank ATMs
- Check card readers for signs of tampering
- Be aware of your surroundings
- Remember to always protect your personal information
Identity Theft Resource Center
The Identity Theft Resource Center can assist you with:
- No-cost victim assistance. You can call 1-888-400-5530 for help with navigating the process of fighting identity theft, fraud, or scams, advice on communicating with credit issuers, financial services, credit reporting agencies, or law enforcement.
- Consumer education. While you’re there, you can also access very valuable information that will educate you on scams and fraud–because there are many types! Sign up for their newsletter and get tips every week on how to keep yourself protected.
- Live chat & app. The ITRC ID Theft Help app is free and gives you access to resources wherever you are. You can track your case, live chat with a specialist, and sign up for alerts on recent scams and data breaches.